Monday, February 4, 2008

Timeline of Architects and Events

1st ever architect: 2670 b.c. Imhotep

In the Romanesque Period: The first gothic church was built (Abbey Church St. Denis, Paris)1140

13th-14thC: also in Romanesque Period: Alhambra, Granada, Spain

1888: Art Nouveau Period: Palau Guell, Barcelona by Gaudi AND Eiffel Tower by Gustav Eiffel

1906-10: Casa Mila aparment buidling, Barcelona by Gaudi

1916Airship Hangar, Orly, Paris by E. Freyssinet

In the modern Movement Period: 1946-52 Unite' d'Habitation, Marseilles, France by Le Corbusier

1976 Pompidou Centre, Paris by R. Piano & R. Rogers

1997 Guggenheim Bilbao, Spain by Frank Gehry

1 comment:

Katie said...

I think that it is really interesting that throughout this timeline that I found in the book The Architecture Pack, that both France and Spain seemed to have surges in prominent figures and buidlings at the same time. Whenever I saw a famous French building, there was also a famous Spanish building. I think that this has great significance because this shows us that architecture does affect us.
I think that when some place comes up with a newer, prettier and more modern masterpeice, that other countries try to keep up and build their own more modern buildings. This does not only happen between France and Spain, but I had too broad of a topic and needed to narrow it down. I thought it was a great match up because they are right next to eachother and have very prominent buildings and architects in their past and present and will also in their future.